- 100% of lead sheet used by ELSIA members comes from recycled material, none from primary mining sources.
- More than 95% of lead is collected and recycled – no lead goes to landfill
- Lead sheet can be used repeatedly without loss of performance.
- Lifetime of lead sheet frequently exceeds 60 years
- Lead lasts three times longer than other man-made products
- Durability reduces maintenance and lifetime costs
- Lead sheet has the lowest carbon footprint of all competing roofing materials
- Handled correctly the risks to human health in lead workers are low.
- Research shows no environmental risk related to water run-off from lead sheet.
- ELSIA has a Code of Practice to ensure that high standards of product stewardship are applied to the manufacture, distribution and installation of lead sheet products
- Extensive and effective EU legislation covers the entire lifecycle of lead sheet.
- Lead has a lower melting point than other metals and synthetic roofing products.
- The low melting point means the process of recycling is very energy efficient – approximately one-third of the energy needed in winning lead from its ore.
- Less energy equates to lower cost.