Code of Practice
Lead sheet is a long-term, low maintenance construction material with a low environmental impact. However, it is important to ensure that simple guidelines are followed to ensure that lead sheet is manufactured and used responsibly so as to minimise any potential health and safety impacts.
In 2014 ELSIA members will sign up to a revised voluntary product stewardship Code of Practice that:
- Ensures that all lead purchased is sourced from recycled materials and by responsible manufacturers who maintain high health, safety and quality standards
- Puts environmental and health and safety management at the heart of its manufacturing operations – demonstrated by accreditation to ISO14001 and BS OHSAS 18001 (or equivalent) – and manages occupational exposures to lead by setting continuous improvement targets.
- Provides health and safety information and safety data sheets to downstream users via sales outlets and distributors
- Highlights the importance of correct training, regular employee blood lead sampling and improvement targets for professional users
- Promotes the recycling of all scrap arising from lead sheet